This is a small town in the City district of Arusha. The town is within the borders of Ngorongoro crater and the Lake Manyara National Park. The Town has for this reason been nicknamed the ‘Safari Junction’. It is a stopover spot for most tourists transiting from one attraction site to the other. There are a lot of cultural experiences you can enjoy if you chose to spend some time here.
How to get to Karatu
The town is about 150 Kilometers from the central business area of Arusha and it will take you about 2 hours by car or bus. The cheapest option is taking the bus but the more convenient way is if you organize transport means with a tour operator.
This is safer and also allows you to explore on the go as you can make a lot of stopovers whenever you feel like.
Activities in and around Karatu
This town is a safari Junction that you can use to connect to the next Tanzania safari destination but there are many things you can actually do here. Here are some of the activities you can consider.
- You can have the experience of the local market where you can buy a lot of crafted things which is an also away of supporting the community.
- There are a lot of coffee farms you can visit. The volcanic soils here facilitate the growth of some of the best coffee in the region. You can also be taken through the process of growing to harvesting until the coffee reached the cup ready to drink.
- This area also grows a lot of sorghum and therefore they brew local drink. You can enjoy all the cultural experience related to this process.
- Brick making is one of the economic activities here as there is a lot of construction going on.
- The food is another thing to look out for The Ugali (maize bread) and many more is something you have to be excited for. You will be taken through the process of making some of these meals.
- You can have visit to some local homesteads and you will be taken through some of the daily routines of a normal Tanzanian home.
- You can take a biking trip. It’s one of the things that can help you work on your body shape if you intend to hike the Kilimanjaro.
- There are a lot of other community projects that you can visit and make your time here worthwhile.
Book your dream safari tour below.
Tanzania hiking tours Budget Kilimanjaro tours Luxury Kilimanjaro tours East African safaris
We offer very affordable tours to Mount Kilimanjaro. You can inquire above or rather click to inquire below if you'd like a tailor-made hiking experience; combining activities within Tanzania or even within other East African safari countries.