Kilimanjaro Mountain located in Tanzania is the tallest mountain on the African continent. Climbing to the top of Africa is a great accomplishment to those who are able to summit to Kilimanjaro’s highest peak, Uhuru.
You need to be well prepared for the fluctuating temperatures and different weather conditions at each elevation.
What do you need to pack?
1. Gears and equipment list
- Water proof duffel bag not more than 15kgs. This will be carried by the porters during the climb.
- A day back bag to carry with you every day during the climb. It will have your essentials like water bottle, snacks, phone, camera, extra clothing for layering, your gloves, head lights and more.
- Water proof bags and covers to keep your things dry.
- Sleeping bags,
- Sleeping mat and a travel pillow
- Trekking poles
- Neck scarf or gaiter to help with the dusty conditions on the mountain.
- Sunhat and warm beanie
- Sunglasses with high UV protection
- Flash light for late night trips to the toilet and or a headlamp which will come in handy for summit night.
- Camera with spare batteries as the batteries always run out so fast in cold weather conditions.
- Power-banks to charge your phones
- Water bottle (1 liter) to keep in your day bag and a 3-liter hydration bladder / pack
- Light weight gloves for the first days of climbing on lower slopes
- Warm gloves for the cold nights and the insulated gloves for summit day
2. Clothing and footwear
- Short sleeve shirts
- Long sleeve hiking shirts
- Insulated trekking pants
- Hiking pants like 2 pairs
- Fleece leggings or yoga pants to act as a base layer for your legs
- A fleece / lightweight jacket
- A winter / insulated jacket for the cold nights
- A hard-shell jacket which should be water / windproof
- Hooded raincoat or water proof cover
- Sports bras for women
- Socks; liner socks, outer socks and a pair of thermal socks
- Trekking boots with good ankle support
- Trainer shoes or sandals to wear around the camp
- Gaiters to help keep sand and stones from getting into your shoes and to keep your trousers clean dusty, muddy or wet conditions
- Small microfiber towel / quick dry
- Toothbrush and toothpaste / small mouthwash
- Wet wipes for your wet wipe showers as there are no bathing facilities of the mountain. Buy a big pack of wipes.
- Hand sanitizer
- Sunscreen and lip protection balm to avoid cracked lips
- Moisturizing cream
- A roll-on deodorant
- Tissues and toilet paper
- Insect repellent
- Feminine products for women
4. First Aid kit
Carry a personal kit with you. Yes, your mountain climbing support stuff will have a medical kit with them but you can still carry your personal one to carry with you in your day bag.
Bottom line, when preparing and packing for your climb to Kilimanjaro’s highest peak, make sure that your clothing and other wearable like shoes and gloves are breathable, sweat wicking and comfortable, you can try them on at home first.
Book your dream safari tour below.
Tanzania hiking tours Budget Kilimanjaro tours Luxury Kilimanjaro tours East African safaris
We offer very affordable tours to Mount Kilimanjaro. You can inquire above or rather click to inquire below if you'd like a tailor-made hiking experience; combining activities within Tanzania or even within other East African safari countries.